View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 05:34 AM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
The more permanent fix for this problem is to use a rethreading die to cut a fresh thread into the bleed socket, then wind the white pipe tap around the bleed screw, and then finally screw it in decently. This will avoid the need to repeat the sealant procedure each time you remove the bleed screw to bleed the radiator.
Re-threading is the proper fix, if possible. If the threads are completely stripped, you were also correct about using a replacement radiator as the best solution.

Quote:
These procedures were actually more successful than I expected, considering that in both occasions, the bleed screw could be kept turning on and on. Was quite concerned that it wouldn't last under pressure. No problems whatsoever. God did not have to be great this time, the sealant and pipe tape sufficed.
Report back next year when you do your annual coolant flush. I seriously doubt your repair is going to last this long, and I would advise against trying this as anything more than a quick, very temporary fix. It is certain to fail.

Thanks for the story bobby, please keep us updated on the status of the fix. I will be curious to see how long it lasts.

In the meantime, while you are doing experiments on your car, please do us all a favor and refrain from posting results until you have some real, long term experience with it. This procedure could easily result in a sudden, catostrophic coolant loss.
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5