View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: '99 540i, '02 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelsX5 View Post
Have a question for you.

My 01 x5 with 160k is clicking when I accelerate. I thought it was my axles at first but took it to a shop and after they replaced them they came back with I need a new front transfer case. 2k installed for a reman. The mech said I could remove the front drive shaft and make it a 2 wheel drive. I tried that and turns out the shaft I removed was the main shat because now the car rolls in park so I put that back on. So I went to the forums and found a great thread for replacing the bike chain in the transfer case. http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-pictures.html

I have looked at the pics but is this the front transfer case? I read thru the really long thread and some ppl said you don't have to remove it from the vehicle. Any clarity you can provide or experience would be helpful as now the car clicks all the time and the spouse is ready to jump ship to the L brand.
You may need to find a new mechanic. There is no such thing as a 'front' transfer case. The only transfer case you have, is mounted on the rear of the transmission, and it provides power to both the front and rear driveshafts. Because the 4wd system in your vehicle is an AWD (all wheel drive) system, it does not have the capability of providing power to just the front or rear axle alone. Both driveshafts must be in place for the system to work.