View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328i, 2004 325i
No, I just did it cold, because when I filled it, I did it using the prescribed method of warming up the transmission fluid by running it through the gears, and it was full to overflowing. I suppose I don't have anything to lose by trying that again.

Question - how did you determine the transmission was at the correct temperature? I ask because, and this is pretty embarrassing, but when I read, "shift the transmission through the gears to warm it up," I took it very literally, and ran it through ALL the gears, with the car in jack stands, which required me to run it at a very high effective speed to get it into fifth. I was sure the car was going to fly off the stands! So, I think I may have gotten the transmission too hot, thus the theory that the fluid expanded, and gave a higher indicated level than would have been shown if it were at the correct temperature.

Another question - what is it about warming up the transmission that lowers the fluid level? I would have thought that just sitting would allow the fluid to settle at its lowest possible level.

Edit: I read back through your procedure, and see that you say that running the engine sucks fluid up into the transmission from the pan, which reduces the amount of fluid left in the pan, obviously. OK, makes sense.

So, could you please describe the exact method you used to get the transmission to the correct temperature, and how you confirmed that it was at the right temp? I'm definitely willing to try anything at this point. Thanks.

Last edited by Variocam; 11-01-2012 at 09:24 PM.