Thread: E46 vs 128i
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002tii, 540iA, Z4M Rdstr
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_330 View Post
I love the 1'er. It's like a reborn E46. The dash and interior are very similar in layout and feel to the E46... to the extent that from behind the wheel it feels extremely familiar the first time you sit in it. Visibility is better though because of the tall greenhouse.

You can't go wrong with the car. Just make sure you get it with real cogs... the auto just isn't good in the 1'er in my opinion. I went with a DCT because of knee trouble... but if a traditional auto was my only alternative choice on the 1'er I probably wouldn't be driving one today. It's part of the reason I decided to spend the extra on the 135i.

HTH.
I wholeheartedly agree that the 1 series is a "throwback" car - it feels a lot like a modern version of my '72 tii - big greenhouse, bulldog stance, great size and turning circle, immensely tossable.

The one area where I disagree, however, is in the manual-vs-auto contention. I just picked up a new 128i M Sport on Friday with the slushbox and paddle shifters - it's the second automatic I've bought in the last 15 years and 20 cars. The first was my 2011 328i sedan. Both cars are for dealing with SoCal traffic, so please, no lectures! I will say that when driving either of these cars, I have NEVER missed the stick shift - the engine and transmission combo are absolutely sublime, and it's one of the best automatics I've ever driven. The only one that comes close is the 8-speed AT in the new X1 2.8xDrive - if I could have got that transmission, I would have.

That said, I'm fortunate to have several other cars with manual trannys in my garages in case I feel nostalgic. Perhaps it's telling, though, that I've not driven my M Roadster, Carrera S, or 2002tii in almost a week since I got the 128!

OP - best of luck with the new ride. I've been having an absolute blast with mine. One suggestion - the Burger Motorsports Powerbox ECU tune - 15 WHP and 12 torques. Makes a huge difference to throttle response and low- to mid-range acceleration. Approx $400. I literally drove the car to them straight from the dealership, and it's been worth every penny. The 328i has an appointment next week for the same