View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328i, 2004 325i
OK, here's what happened. I followed james2538's procedure, in which I started the car, turned on the A/C, and shifted through P-R-N-D five times, holding it in each selection for five seconds, and let it idle a few more minutes in Park until the pan became warm to the touch. This took a good ten minutes, but I'm confident I didn't get the fluid too hot. Then I removed the fill plug, and what came out was a very frothy, brown liquid, not what I was expecting. I let it drain a few seconds to see if its character would change, and it didn't. I caught the liquid in a pan, and after a few minutes, the bubbles evaporated, and it looks like normal auto trans fluid. It doesn't smell burnt, or look strange in any way.

Did I not allow the fluid to get warm enough? It definitely didn't feel hot to the touch, just warm. The last time I did it, I seem to recall it being blazing hot. Is it possible that I somehow OVER-filled the trans when I did the drain & fill in June of 2011 (hard to imagine how this would be possible)? Through this recent process, I've now drained out a total of 250 ml of fluid. Any advice on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Variocam; 11-02-2012 at 09:08 AM.