View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328i, 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I can net it out simple. Change your trans fluid. My fluid was brown on my 323 when I changed it because it was OLD. Old fluid takes longer to flow where it needs to when cold, theres your problem. Change fluid and filter and go on with life.
Smolck,

I'd be more than happy to go that route, except I did a drain & fill & filter change 18K miles ago, and the fluid that came out was incredibly clean and sediment-free. It even smelled new. Nothing like the horror stories I had read about with nasty smelling fluid, and pans filled with silt. It looked like it was drained out of a brand new car.

And to clarify, the ATF I drained out of the drain plug (I drained a little out to look for signs of coolant in the bottom of the pan) is reddish in color, like normal ATF. The stuff coming out of the fill plug when the engine is running and everything is warmed up has a brownish appearance, but I think that's because of all the bubbles in it.

Bottom line, here's where I'm at:

- Car is acting like ATF might be low
- Opening fill plug with engine running and everything warmed up produces a thin, frothy liquid, so it's acting as though it were OVER-filled, but I don't see how that's possible

Last edited by Variocam; 11-02-2012 at 01:17 PM.