View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: '99 540i, '02 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelsX5 View Post
Thanks for the info! What would you call the drive train device that the front drive shaft connects to between the front tires? I ordered a chain from cobra transmissions but if that is for the transfer case behind the transmission then that won't help me in fixing my issue.
The component, in the front axle, that the front driveshaft connects to is the differential. You also have one in the rear axle. Neither of these differentials have a chain, they use gears to transfer power from the driveshaft to the axle shafts. As for the noise you are hearing, without more information, I can't guess at what is causing it. Since, as I recall, you started this thread asking about the transfer case, I am going to asume that it is where your 'mechanic' diagnosed the noise as coming from. The big chain in the transfer case has been known to stretch, and can cause a ratcheting, banging type of noise under acceleration. If that is the case, then you have three options. Replace the transfer case with either a new unit, or a rebuilt one. Have the chain replaced in your unit, by someone who knows what they are doing. Or ignore the noise, and live with it. Again, this all depends on what is actually making the noise you are hearing.