View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsled7 View Post
The best fix for this is to not overtighten and strip out your bleeder

Glad to see the acknowledgement that this is only a quick and temporary fix.

There may be hope for you yet bobby.

I did not overtighten, and yet it got stripped. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that I was using a brass bleed screw instead of the normal plastic one, it may have expanded too much into the hard plastic socket. I'm not sure. Old radiator.

And I did not say that this is not a long term fix. Read my posts carefully. That being said, it probably is a long term fix. I said that I was surprised at how well it stood up to the pressure of hard driving. Remember, this was well within the ideal 24-hr recommended curing period of the thing, as stated on the back of the cover. And I just went to pick up another tube. Guess what ? They have pictures of radiators there on some of them....rtv sealants all. So i'm now convinced that this would have indeed held for the long term. Whenever I checked after the car had been driven, the sealant was rubbery hard, had not melted in the least, did not move, nothing whatsoever. And it was with the brass bleed screw. And it is good until 600 degrees F.

Of course, there's an ugly patch of dried sealant around the bleed screw that you'll need to contend with. Some black high temp spray paint dabbed on with a tiny paintbrush would take care of that. And there's the inconvenience of having to reapply this each time you flush the radiator. It will work for some folks, and they wouldn't have to first say Hosanna. As mentioned, I was surprised by how solid the fix was. Not a wisp of a wisp of steam. I checked with an upturned cup each time.

Snowsled, there could be some hope for you as well. This post was approaching politeness. I think the Hosanna's are working.

Have a good day my friend.

rgds,
Roberto