View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
To answer your specific question, there is nothing about the run-flat feature of the tires that affects their function in winter weather. More important to understand: the roads you will be on in California and Oregon go over mountain passes, and California and Oregon laws require that you carry "tire chains or traction devices" in fall and winter. The Highway Patrol also may require you to use them when weather conditions dictate it. That would not be a problem, except that some combinations of BMW wheels and tires and car bodies don't leave enough clearance to mount tire chains. Several years ago I drove my new 328i (E92) from the BMW Performance Center in South Carolina to Portland, in January. I avoided winter weather problems by taking I-10 from the East Coast to Los Angeles, but then I had to get across the mountains at the California - Oregon border, and I had sport package wheels and tires that would not take chains. What I did, and what you can do in December, is divert from I-5 to US 101, which is nearer the ocean and avoids the higher passes. It's longer, but it's also more scenic and more interesting.