View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by skndchanzs View Post
Thank you 'raleedy'. Since the manual only suggested 'fine link' chains, I asked the BMW parts dept and they suggested a type of cable chain that is easy to install. They were able to order them from an outside vendor for less than $100; for that price I will keep them even if I don't use them on the trip this winter. If the weather looks ikes it will be bad, we will go the 101 route anyways.

I was thinking about the SC pickup but couldn't adjust my work schedule. That must have been a great trip!

DeeDee
Good -- the chains will work if you need them, and you'll be legal just having them in the car if you don't. (A local tire company here has a kind of remarkable deal: you buy chains at the beginning of the season and if you don't use them, you can return them in the spring for a refund!)

The PDC pickup in South Carolina was a blast. We were put up overnight at a local hotel, with breakfast and dinner included, and given better than half a day on the proving grounds (plus lunch) in a BMW similar to mine, with permission to drive it hard, which I did. It was a good hands-on introduction to ABS, stability control, and BMW handling at the limits. And the road trip home was a treat, despite some bad weather. I would recommend the experience to anyone.

Last edited by raleedy; 11-03-2012 at 12:59 PM.