Thread: S54 Swap
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: what ever starts
GOt a little bit done today. Picked up the shims at the local dealer $6 a piece so nothing like the $400 kit.

Also bought a cover for the pan where the oil level sender sits.

I am going to see if I can drill and tap it and I will be able to mount an oil temp gauge sender unit right in the pan. I will see if I can get that done this week.

The shims have their size printed on them. I don't know if you can see it but they do incase you mix up the new ones.

My chicken scratch for each cylinder. If the small feeler fits and the larger one doesn't you are good to go. 7 and 9 on the intake, 11 and 13 on the exhaust.
Quote:
You measure the shim with a micrometer and then convert to mm. Then compare the existing shim to the sizes that are available. Order your shims and go. Bottom line is that you can screw up your math it still comes down to the gauges fitting or not. That means you are within tolerance.

The new or corrected shim sitting on top of the valve.

Then the rocker arm goes back on and you check with the feelers to make sure you have it correct. You can see the rocker arm just to the right of the spring. It is sitting on a rod and just swings up and then you push it over the valve and it is held in place by this clamp.

The clamp just pushes down on the bar that the rockers sit on. If you do one at a time you get the idea real quick. You can see how the look to the left and right.

AS fate would have it, I ordered some additional size shims but did not have the one I needed. On one of the exhaust valves the 11 feeler fit but it was real tight. I needed a 2.28 shim but all I had left was a 2.24 and the original. Since the 2.24 was way too small. I busted out the wet sand paper. Presoak your paper for a whiles and have at it. A few circle motions on each side and back on the valve to check.

Took a few times but in the end all within spec and ready for the next step. All rockers back in place. Clips in and cleaned with brake clean to get oil and gunk out. Rotated the crank twice and measure with the feelers for tolerance and all are good to go. Next stop for the engine is to have the rod bearings replaced. I am going to take this to Randy Forbes in Florida. He has done over 30 of these so I trust his work and he is a wealth of knowledge.
In the mean time I am going to get the 3.91 lsd installed.