View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11' X5 Sport Activity
I wouldn't do it.

I just traded in my X5 with 20" wheels for the X1, where i had the bmw wheel/tire coverage. In my 2+ yrs of X5 ownership in NYC I was "fortunate" enough to have avoided any major wheel/tire damage. During my last BMW service visit, I did try to have a couple of wheels and tires replaced under the warranty, as I had curbed a wheel and tire. however, I was denied the replacement as the SA claimed that BMW has become more strict on claims, to the point where they make visits to the service facilities to inspect and verify the claimed damages. This was a big turnoff as I had bmw's with the same coverage before and they were willing to honor the free replacement in the past. I cancelled the insurance within a week after this.

Imo you don't need to get the insurance, unless you have 19" wheels and drive in heavily potholed roads. I had the 20's and drove on a fair share of bad roads, plus in a much heavier suv than the X1. $1k+ will buy a good number of wheels/tires, esp in a couple of yrs when the X1 is more common and has an established used parts mkt. on the forums.
2006 Subaru Legacy GT (GONE)
2001 Honda Prelude modded (GONE)