View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
The RFTs were my biggest concern in buying my first BMW, a SDrive28i which should be here in another 10-14 days. In my two X1 test drives, I was very impressed by the ride on the 17s. I have 18s on my 2006 Lexus IS250, and the ride can be quite jarring over uneven pavement. And obviously they are not RFTs. They haven't exactly been cheap to replace, either. I have very slight rim damage, due to my own negligence in turning the wheels too close to the curb. Nothing like a bent rim that needed replacing, in my car-owning life. All in all, I'd say the X1 with 17s had a better ride than my IS on 18s.

On the other hand, my best friend with a BMW swears by the insurance, as she had as many as four tires replaced due to common road damage. I believe she has 18s, and her 1-series is from 2009 or so. Due to California slowly becoming a third-world country, despite our mild weather the roads can still be quite rough.

So I'll see what the warranty offer is when I go in to buy my X1. But my "tire guy" (private business, not dealer related) whom I trust, told me that the latest generation of run-flats run much better than the older ones, and the costs have come down. He told me that I should feel pretty comfortable with the 17s, in terms of ease and cost of replacement. So unless the warranty seems like a real bargain, gonna pass.