View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972ford View Post
So I found BOTH rear springs broken in my wagon, and I know they were new when I got the car 3 years ago. Considering I do put a good amount of weight in the car, and also drive it hard over bumpy roads all the time, I would really like to put heavier springs in there. The problem is, it's a sport package AWD wagon.
I know it's a shot in the dark but does anyone have suggestions or better yet experience with upgraded springs for a sport suspension-equipped wagon? Or are the rear springs even different from sport to regular? Or maybe the sport springs ARE heavier and someone put in regular springs, thus they broke? Or maybe I should not drive like a nut with a car full of skis all winter? .
Don't know about the wagon, but since you have AWD you don't actually have sport springs: you have AWD springs, which are taller than the regular ones. The AWD springs (I'm speaking about sedan) ALWAYS break. Both mine in my 330xi broke before 100K miles; I wouldn't be surprised if the wagon ones are in the same boat. The extra height but same size metal just is too stressed.

I suggest you check the threads for solutions for sedans; I believe that there are a couple.