Thread: S54 Swap
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: what ever starts
+1 to Horn on the oil.

I think the reason the went to 10w 60 is simply warranty work eats into the profits. Do research on oil shear and your head starts to spin. I run the Amsoil simply because it is good and the east coast distribution center is located in Richmond, Va so I can pick up what I need. I like Red Line also but it is hard to find. Advance Auto actually carried it for about 2 months but got rid of it. Hard for anyone to buy it when Mobil One was sitting next to it at half the price. Bimmerworld said they run 15/50 in there cars. Most of the zinc and phosphorus was pulled out of the modern oils because it supposedly wreck havoc on the cats. I read somewhere that the cats had to last for a certain amount of miles but can't recall where As for the black oil goo residue, there were actually some small chunks on the strainer. I will see if I can get you a shot. I am going to play around with some WD40 on one side and some SeaFoam on the other to see what eats through the crud. Was also toying with some good old fashioned Coca Cola. Old school.
The engine was out of a 2001 will 114,000 miles. That is the info but I can't verify. I am going to have the reflash done at Bimmerworld.

I want to order the Rogue cover for the dif and will probably do that Tuesday so i can get it here for the weekend. I snoozed on one on ebay and could have picked it up for $400. Oh well, it will make a swell Christmas present for my wife.