View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
As I learned personally, incentives and tax breaks can actually make diesels cheaper out the door.

I haven't seen much of a penalty at all, unless of course you don't think my 37.5mpgs combined is low.

True, but the same arguments have been made about power windows and power brakes.

Stock vs stock - the audio sound track in my 335d sounds much better than my 550. I had to pay Dinan $3,500 to give my 550 a decent sound track.
I'm not arguing any of this - if governments want to provide tax breaks and subsidies then clearly the market will respond favorably to that product. It's why Diesel was able to capture >50% market share in many European countries.

I personally love the early torque of a Diesel. I'm glad to hear you like the 335d, I've never been in one.

Anyway, Diesels will remain a niche market share until the feds or states step in and actively pushes consumers in that direction via incentives and fuel cost subsidies; and that ain't happening like it will for hybrids & electrification (for many right reasons, and many wrong reasons).