Thread: Z3 HVAC controls
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcofribas View Post
The temperature selector dial in my 2001 Z3 Roadster also binds. It stops at the vertical point, but if I nudge it a few times it goes over the "hump" and continues to the maximum position. Once it's there, it will freely move from full minimum to full max with no binding. Is there a way to squirt some lubricant into the cable? If necessary, is the cable replaceable without major take-apart issues? I suspect, from previous experience with this kind of control, that there's a kink in the inner cable.
Not a bind, alcofribas. What you're experiencing is the heat blend door sticking to the face of the heater box. As these cars age, the foam seal on the flap deteriorates and the adhesive used to fix it in place starts sticking.

The only way I know of short of disassembling and replacing the foam is to adjust the cable so that the blend door doesn't close all the way, therefore preventing the sticking problem. However, it results in a slight amount of heat leaking past the door when it should be closed. Eventually the post will break off the heater control arm where it rides in the track on the knob because of the tension, can be replaced with a metal bellcrank ball for a "fix".

One of these days I will feel adventurous and yank the entire box, replace the foam with felt or something like that.

Last edited by dkindig; 11-07-2012 at 01:29 PM.