Thread: X3 or X5?
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisas View Post
Hi guys, thanks a lot for all your comments. They are very helpful!

Now I tend to choose X3 after reading all your opinions. That's probably what we really need now. I was thinking a big car that can carry 6 people. But even X5 is not the best choice for packing 6 people for a long trip. And we don't have 6 people in the car for a long trip often, maybe one or two times a year. In that case, I would rent a van. Thanks for helping me straighten it out.

But eventually we will get a X5 when kids get older, with diesel engine

I'm considering only BMW or Audi, because of the safety reputation of German cars, especially after I watched the videos showing BMW making turns in the snow. Am I biased?

The last question: Is it safer to be in a larger and heavier car, say X5, than a smaller car, say X3, if an accident happens? Is the bulky body one of the reasons you bought X5?
I have done a lot of research between BMW X3 and Q5 since I was choosing between the two. Here is my conclusions. Remember, I picked X5 in the end because I feel I want more of the X5 goodies.

BMW X3: Pro
1. Can get dynamic dampers with very little add on. Audi Q5 does not have it at all until you get to prestige options.
2. BMW X3 has better 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engine in terms of fuel efficiency and performance.
3. BMW is sportier because of better weight distributions. The power train is very powerful and able to carry if you are willing to live with the initial lag that people mentioned.

Audi Q5: Pro
1. Cheaper than comparable equipped BMW X3 by a few ks.
2. More luxurious interior if you like the look and feel. I found Audi to be better looking than X3 but I prefer the look and feel of X5.
3. 2013 has really nice MMI that does WiFi hotspot and connectivity through T-mobile HSDA+ network. BMW? EDGE in this day and age?

Some differences:
1. BMW uses electronic brakes to distribute the torque in slipping case. It is faster response than mechanical system so it supposed to be better. The Audi uses limited slip differential which is as good but slow to response. I personally don't care since I don't see snow unless I want to. It was never a factor.

For me, X3 wins because of dynamic dampers and I don't care for all the other luxury and pampering that Q5 has. X3 wins by a huge margin.

Last edited by henrycyao; 11-07-2012 at 10:49 PM.