View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Prior to hurricane Rita(I think that was the name) making land fall all of the gas stations in the Houston area had LONG lines waiting to try and get gas. I remember pulling into a Shell with my truck and seeing one pump with a bag over the gas handle but nothing over the diesel. I drove right up to that thing and proceeded to fill it up. I got some really dirty looks from people and I recall some guy making some nasty comments about cutting in line but he was quickly shut up by someone else before I even thought of a reply to him.

After Hurricane Ike hit us and once stations finally had power to pump the gas was hard to find but diesel easy to find. It of course took 1-2 weeks in our area for power to be restored for those stations to even work. At the time I really wished I had a diesel generator but at least was happy I had a ton of boat gas tanks and just made a long haul out to College Station to fill them all up with gas and diesel to last me through the almost month of no power to my home.

With all that said though, if I remember right after Katrina there was basically a diesel shortage. I seem to recall diesel was being imported for needs and the cost of diesel skyrocketed. So I guess sometimes it is good to be on the "alternative" fuel at stations but other times it might not be so good.