View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
rev limiter in engine will shut dowm temporarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbmr View Post
Hello all, I am a new 2003 BMW 530i owner and have a question about the shifting on my manual 5 speed. I have owned the car for a few days and have been driving it aggressively as I am so stoked to own it.

When shifting from 1st to 2nd gear the car seems to EASE into second no matter how hard I try to get it to change gears quickly. If I am revving high rpms and let out the clutch quickly the rpms just gradually ease down. The car moves forward with pretty good pull, its not as if it is lagging, but just not the abrupt acceleration I would expect.

At first I wondered if my clutch was slipping, but I did a test of trying to start from a stop in 3rd gear to see if the car would stall or the clutch would slip - a friend recommended I try this test. The car stalled, which he said indicated the clutch is fine.

My next thought was that BMW had installed some kind of limiter that keeps the car from spinning the tires and sliding out of control if you try to shift to hard. Is this right? Am I over revving from 1st to 2nd?

The car is a 2003 530i sport (E39) with a Dinan stage 2 chip and Dinan cold air intake.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
engine if you exceed redline shifting ,BUT it will not save engine is you make an error in downshifting so be careful .