View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
Could they use faster stuff? Sure. Would there be any business value? Probably not to justify the development costs. I mean, obviously an ASE tech isn't waiting for four hours, they are off multitasking.
I had a couple of interesting conversations about this with the service manager and shop foreman of my local dealer, around when they were moving to a new facility. The current standard for BMW service departments has a high-speed Ethernet drop at every service bay. Also the in-house servers are now capable of hosting most firmware updates for the cars--not that long ago, certain updates had to be streamed to the car direct from Germany. You can imagine how well that went sometimes, contributing to a higher flat-hours figure for reflashes. The car itself is undoubtedly the slowest link now.

The tech will be off doing other things but part of the billed time probably accounts for tying up a service bay with active work, attended or not. Bottom line, there is definitely plenty of business value in being able to churn more cars through the shop.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA