View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosopo View Post
The snowflake has totally desensitized me to the warning chime in the car. I bought my BMW in winter and it was cold enough that the snowflake alert would chime when I first turned it on. I easily ignored this since it just spammed during the seatbelt warning. (It doesn't even wait for the seatbelt chimes to finish, it sloppily interrupts instead.) Then as it got a little warmer, it would chime while I was driving and send my heart into my throat. I'm accustomed to cars that chime at me when driving only when something really bad is happening like a flat tire or engine problems. But no, in a BMW it means the outside temperature has just hit 37 degrees. This time of year it is constantly blinging at me.

It really throws off passengers too, like WTF is that? After I explain it to them, they appreciate the idea, but they don't have to live with it every day for half of the year...
Do you recall the CNBC documentary on BMW and the segment about the sound engineer who 'designs' all the chimes? I maintain that he failed at his job. If you have ever had the seatbelt gong/ low fuel gong/ and snowflake gong happen simultaneously, it is apparent that these should have been designed as a harmonic arpeggio. It would have much more impact and be so much more understandable why the car is emulating the noises made by a Las Vegas slot machine hitting the jackpot.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793