View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5 View Post
Both Xenon headlight assemblies on my '03 530i were replaced due to broken adjusters from a minor collision (insurance paid). My original turn signal round lens reflectors were clear with amber bulbs. Replacement headlight assemblies were ordered from Germany (none were available stateside through BMW) and the new ones have amber turn signal round lens reflectors with clear bulbs. My VIN was used in the order and the correct part number was given.

I prefer the look of the clear turn signal lens reflectors but I am stuck with amber. The good news is that the headlight assemblies came with all new bulbs, including the xenon bulbs, preinstalled.

Interestingly, there was another '03 530i at the shop that was built five months after mine and it had amber lens reflectors. I wonder if the lens color was changed in mid-year model cycle and the only replacements assemblies available now have the amber turn signal lens reflectors.

Does anyone know why the colors are different?
Not sure why, but you are correct there were two blinker versions. Have yours already been installed? You should be able order the other versions. This link has more information with part numbers courtesy of BayernKiwiBMW in an old thread. I am not sure if the part numbers are all correct, but it should help you narrow things down.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...68&postcount=8

The only other thing I can think of is if you have access to your old lights you should be able to swap the turn signal reflectors into the new headlights. Although given that you have a 2003 you may not be able to open them easily.

Your current ones look like these right?
Amber blinker w Amber corner (the blinker reflector is amber)

Your old ones looked like this right?
Clear blinker w Amber corner (blinker looks amber b/c of bulb & way pic was taken)

Close up of Clear blinker (ignore the fact that this is a clear corner euro version)

vs. Amber blinker

FYI there were 8 different combinations available 4 US versions and 4 Euro versions.

US DOT assemblies:

Halogen, clear blinker, lit amber corner
Halogen, amber blinker, lit amber corner
Xenon, clear blinker, lit amber corner
Xenon, amber blinker, lit amber corner:

European assemblies:

Halogen, clear blinker, unlit clear corner:
Halogen, amber blinker, unlit amber corner:
Xenon, clear blinker, unlit clear corner:
Xenon, amber blinker, unlit amber corner:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version