Thread: 335d Questions
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) is now required even in rural Alaska since 2010. The required standard is ASTM D 975 which also has better fuel cleanliness:

If you think he needs a secondary fuel filter for Alaska, then we all do, since all US on-road diesel fuel has the same maximum particulate contaminant percentages now since 2010. Unless our friend is using off-road diesel, this should not cause a problem with his fuel pump.

Unless of course you think unacceptable wear occurs from winter diesel having higher kerosene content, which I imagine would be more common in Alaska even during "Summer" months. The ASTM standard is specific for lubricity also, so it should not be as bad as before ULSD.

ULSD has improved fuel consistency and cleanliness. This is why the US can now export it in the international market, as it is acceptable for other countries' standards, and why its price is higher than gasoline, which Europe exports to us.

PL
I understand all of that but my take on the OP is that the local stations are not proactive when it comes down to tank maintenance.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App

Current: 435i
Previous : e90 335d, e90 330i, e46 330 zhp.