View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 03:46 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: E92, E82, E46, E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisas View Post
Sorry for this stupid question. I watched a lot of youtube videos, it seems that a SMT car does not need a clutch foot pedal, to disengage the engine rotation from drive shaft.

How different you guys feels with this SMT without foot pedal? comparing with the stick-shift car?

Have all newer M3 models moved to SMT?

Thanks!
It is a Sequential Manual Transmission, but BMW lists it at SMG (gearbox, not transmission), just to get the lingo down... You are correct, SMG does not have a clutch because it's a sequential box (yes I know some sequential boxes in race applications do have clutches if syncros are not involved).

I've driven a SMG M3 quite a few times in the past, it's not bad to have if you've never had a proper manual before, but there are so many issues that are SMG related, it's not enough for me to recommend a car with that transmission.

Newer E92 M3's for example use a Double Clutch Transmission (DCT), which is significantly better than it's previous examples on the E46 M3 (SMG).

Jurrian Terpstra | Modification Expert | Jurrian@modbargains.com | (714) 582-3330 ext. 8002
BMW Wheels | BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW M3 Parts | KW Coilovers |
AE Performance | Remus Exhaust | BMW Performance Exhaust
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm (PST)
Check out the Blog!