View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi N51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Do you recall the CNBC documentary on BMW and the segment about the sound engineer who 'designs' all the chimes? I maintain that he failed at his job. If you have ever had the seatbelt gong/ low fuel gong/ and snowflake gong happen simultaneously, it is apparent that these should have been designed as a harmonic arpeggio. It would have much more impact and be so much more understandable why the car is emulating the noises made by a Las Vegas slot machine hitting the jackpot.
The programming is poor to allow the chimes to interrupt each other. The audio design of both "yellow" and "red" situations having the same chime (at least that's apparently how it is on my cheap 328) is not desirable either. Low tire pressure or engine overheating should draw more attention than the exterior temperature, seatbelts (I'm already getting to it!), or ~60 miles of fuel range left.

I agree an arpeggio would be nice at start up when there are multiple items it wants to communicate... I hope that BMW's flagship vehicles handle this more gracefully than my car does.