Thread: 2002 325xi
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxskilady View Post
My daughter bought her car from a dealer in July '12. It had about 90K miles on it. She put about 5000 miles on it then on her 1st long distance trip it overheated and the engine seized! She said no warning lights went on! The original dealer says they're not responsible to replace the car or engine. Has anyone else had this problem with this model?
Sorry, but the "no warning lights" aspect of this story strains credibility....what about the temperature gauge ? What about the *other* obvious signs of overheating (i.e. clouds of steam accompanied by the smell of boiling antifreeze coming from under the hood) ?
Unless the car was a CPO, or you have a *written* warranty stating otherwise, all used car sales are considered "As is - Where is".
Cooling systems are considered one of the major weak spots on the E46....BMW engines are generally pretty robust, usually going 300,000 miles without crapping out. Overheating, however, is NOT tolerated well, and just one episode can be The Kiss Of Death for that engine, which is why it`s *critical* that the car be stopped and shut off as soon as any sign of overheation is detected.

Sorry for your troubles....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....