Thanks for all the info
Thank you all for your comments. Here is what I take away from the input:
1. Don't fear the four. Just about nobody seems to be saying too rough too noisy, too whatever.
2. It is probably a good idea to get one of the "lines" because of the group of extras that come with it.The sport line sounds good but I have heard not wonderful things about the sport suspension and I do not plan to get an awd. We'll see.
3. I really don't need two cars of 300 or more hp and in fact right now have a v70R that I will be getting rid of in part because of that fact (and in part because my wife has said I could get a BMW if I get rid of the Volvo). Otherwise I might be looking more at the 335.
4. I do know that I will get a 6 speed just because that is what I like(and wife and grown kids can drive 6mts).
5. In order to avoid embarassing myself either in print or on the road I WILL extensively test-drive a 328 6mt before buying.
Thanks all, Walla2