View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
For that type of driving reality, the 328i is superior to the 335i. It's lighter, more nimble, and faster off the line, throw in the fuel economy and it's a no brainer. The only logical place for the 335i is in Germany on the Autobahn where those extra horses make a difference during high speed passing or cruising at 120 MPH. In this country, it's excessive and wasteful.
The 328i makes about the same Hp as a 911 of 1990, but with probably more low end horsepower. It is actually more than enough to comfortably cruise at 120mph. Sure, more power can come in handy for passing at those speeds, but even in Germany, I bet that's not a common occurrence. But some people always want more power. The more power they have, the more insane the acceleration. It is not about speed, because your average car has that already covered. It's all about the thrill and rush of acceleration.

One can actually easily argue that even this engine is obnoxiously too powerful and wasteful. Audi has a new 1.8 TFSI that produces 170Hp and 236 lb-ft. I am sure BMW has something similar, and if not, it will soon have one. It would probably score an EPA hwy in the forties and still do 0-60mph around 7.5-8 sec. If Audi brought one to the US with FWD and a manual 6-speed, I probably would consider it as a green yet still fun alternative to the A4/328i with more potent 2.0Ts.