View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdollie View Post
I'm much the same way. I've bought 8 premium Euro cars in the past 18 years and usually dumped them just before factory warranty expired (kept one up to 70,000 with extended warranty.) That said, modern cars of all makes are a LOT more reliable than before. There's simply MUCH more engineering that goes into cars and the power trains in particular are made to last hundreds of thousands of miles IF properly maintained.

The case of luxury cars there's a LOT more opportunity for expensive complications with cutting edge technology. This is where I feel uncomfortable carrying the risk of having to pay for a dodgy stability control, torque shifting AWD, integrated infotainment system, laser guided cruise control, etc.. However, if a bargain of a used car were to come along I'd obviously look at the discount in price and compare to prospective unplanned repairs and figure out how to proceed. I wouldn't let miles alone dictate my decision. In this particular case I'd generally be a LOT less concerned with 100k miles on a 4-year old car than 100k miles on a 8-year old car. My assumption in this case is that the majority of the miles are from highway useage but I'd back my assumption with copies of the service history and an independent mechanic's examination.
Agreed.

The years of a car is just as important as the mileage.