View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Chicken View Post
I thought the open differential would just keep you from spinning around.
Our volvo wouldn't do a U-Turn this way, and I doubt it has traction control.
An open diff will make it hard (or impossible) to do continuous donuts, but simple 180 is easy.

During hard cornering, the tail can come out with an open diff. Consider you're at the car's limit of adhesion. If you put too much power down, the inside tire will spin and loose traction. Now the outside tire has the entire job of supplying lateral acceleration and is overwhelmed, resulting in a slide or spin. It won't result in multiple donuts because one spinning tire means that forward moment is being bleed off quickly and the non-powered tire will generally (on dry pavement at least) regain traction on its own as the requirement for lateral acceleration drops off with the slowing of the car. It means that excessive counter-steering and lifting isn't necessarily the right action, as once the rear regains grip, the car will then spin the other way if the wheel isn't straightened pronto. That why you can find plenty of videos online where the car starts to slide one way and then crashes in the other direction.

Where did I practice when I was young? The large parking lot of an out-of-business store that wasn't entirely visible from the road. The key was, do a few things, and then leave before the neighbors called the cops. Just watch out for light posts.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................