View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
OK, I did take a second to see if you were a site sponsor (and, you obviously are), so this is on the up-and-up. And I really do like the concept. But, forgive me for having some fun with the business model.

Think of the possibilities. Advertise that you'll come to them, mount their tires, then accept a fee to store them. Collect a whole bunch of NYC tires in the fall. Get paid for the privilege. Then, off to Tampa for your "gently used tire and wheel" store.

Hey, wait a second, why do a store? I mean, if you're in one place, someone can come looking! I know. Craigslist! Advertise with a whole bunch of throwaway Gmail addresses for replies. "Set of 4 Continental DW tires on BMW 187 wheels, mounted, balanced, with TPMS sensors and BMW center caps. $500, and I'll drop them off and put them on your car." Place Craigslist ads through the mid-Atlantic states, and roll on through!

There's a script in this somewhere ..... Maybe starring one of those 30-ish metrosexual actors.
Woah, good idea for a scam. Thanks for bringing that up as a possible gotcha. Hopefully no criminals see this and try to do it.

Anyhow, Switch and Store is legit though as you said. We paid to be sponsors and we've got tiny ads in 201 Magazine (a northern NJ mag) as well as Yelp ads under tires. This is just a small side business I thought I'd start up. Our main business is actually designing/manufacturing mobile accessories (backpacks/bags mostly) under the BBP Bags, Hellolulu, Coolmika, and Earmuffies brands. We've been around since since 2005 so we're a pretty stable. We have no problem disclosing our 3rd party warehouse location which is in Teterboro, NJ. Paying customers can have the actual address and our account contact there if they like. Besides warehouse insurance that they carry, we're also carrying a $2M business owner's insurance policy too if customers ever want to check that. We figure some customers may have some really expensive rims that could easily run $5k+ with the tires so we don't want to run any unnecessary risks.

Operationally, we tried to think of everything such as asset tags for all the tires and shrink wrapping before being put into storage. We'll also be photographing all inventory before going into our climate controlled warehouse. We've done a few dry runs to work out the kinks with my own car's tires/rims as well as a few close friend's tires/rims.

As a somewhat anal car guy myself, I setup the service in a way that I'd want the service to be so we're pretty confident our customers will be pretty satisfied. We've made a decent investment into the business so we're trying to think more longterm. With all the crazy weather the last few yrs, hopefully more people will think of being safer with snow tires this winter.