View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Thank goodness for extended warranty

Like many posters on here, I was on the fence about buying extended warranty for my 2008 535 xi (production date July 2008). I had my fair share of problems while in warranty (a couple of HPFPs and a set of fuel injector) so I had a hunch that something else might go wrong with the car. I ended up buying extended warranty in February and boy was I glad. Since going out of warranty in March of this year, I have had the following going wrong with my car:

(1) a check engine light was traced to an engine seal that had to be replaced (out of service for two weeks);

(2) a check engine light was traced to a low fuel pressure sensor and a DTML pump both of which were replaced;

(3) a check engine light was traced to faulty fuel rail and fault fuel injector leading to a replacement of the fuel rail and injectors (another two weeks out of service);

(4) while in the shop they also noticed my water pump went out, too.

I just picked up the car for items 3 & 4 - and I am only at 57,500 miles. I would hate to have paid for all of that and am actually not too pleased to have had to pay to the warranty's $50 analytical charge for (1) - (3). It is kind of shocking that BMW makes cars that only last until 50,000 miles and then fall apart.

I know my car is not the norm but I just wanted some of the people on here to be aware of what they might be in for.

BMW CCA Member
Advertisement