View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
Here in Cali the state will buy any "junker" from you for $1000 but you do have to file some simple paperwork and then wait for your confirmation. Think we waited just over 2 weeks? We turned in my partner's rattletrap 1995 Nissan Altima, with broken odometer and mystery mileage, last Saturday. Didn't take too long once at the "dismantler." Left with a $1000 check. Back in late August when I almost bought a VW Jetta SportWagen diesel, the dealer made big deal out of being super generous on the Altima trade-in of offering $200. We didn't know about the Cali *****back program so we almost went for it, but someone was watching out for me and we decided we needed to wait a bit. Ended up at the BMW dealership...But when gas prices went sky high recently in cali, and diesel was less than regular, I almost wondered if I shouldn't have gotten the VW...

You can Google "Voluntary Accelerated vehicle retirement." Love that name. Car has to be at least driveable enough to get it on the dismantler's lot and on the scale. There was a dude with another Altima there who had to call AAA to start his car right in front of the scale.
Just catching up with this thread, a little late.

Never heard about this program. Last year I sold my old car for $900 to my detail shop to use as a shop car. It needed a new steering rack which they took care of. So I would have made a little more money selling it to the state instead! OTOH, when I go to the detailer it's always nice to see my car still alive and being well used.