View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl View Post
You can find UOA's on LG6 taken from AT's with over 70k miles and they came back fine. I've personally spoken to an engineer at ZF who informed me that outside their severe service interval the fluid can easily go 100k miles. The mechtronics is the key to long fluid life and once the fluid is changed the transmission needs to be reset (clear adaptations?) so the mechtronics will adjust to the new fluid characteristics (sp?).
Interesting take on an expensive item.

Here is a post that implies 30K miles for heavy duty use: http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/128...n-Fluid-Change
Quote:
ZF 6HP26 Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

I finally did the dreaded ATF change on the 6 speed ZF transmission. If you read the fine print in the owner’s manual it says to change the ATF at 48,000 kilometers (30,000 miles)if the car is driven in harsh conditions, i.e. stop and go traffic.

Not an easy job, but well worth it.
Also, the lifespan of the fluid is arguably about 62,000 miles: http://www.furitech.com.au/index.php...-introduction/

Quote:
Known Problems With BMW
As these are known to be a sealed transmission it is highly recommended to have these serviced. BMW’s have
had these since 2000 which means the transmission would have done may kms on the same oil. As oil does go
off and add many years of wear and tear floating through the oil it all comes together to start causing issues with
shifting etc. Getting in early with a service will help prolong the transmission so your not hit with a large rebuild
cost.

Service Information
The 6HP26 requires a special oil from ZF there are some oil manufactures that claim there fluid will work
however unless its documented that it will work its recommended to use ZF oil. Now vehicle manufactures claim
that the transmission is a “fill for life” or “Sealed Gearbox” however with research we have done we have found
that ZF claim the Lifeguard 6 fluid is rated to 62,000 miles. See below details
“ZF Lifeguard Fluid, a high-performance lubricant specially engineered by ZF, gives customers a perfectly
matched product. The transmission fluid reduces material wear, vibrations and noise for smoother shifting,
extended maintenance intervals (100,000 km/62,000 miles), and maximum fuel savings.”

Transmission Rebuilders recommend servicing these transmissions every 60,000kms or 36 Months which
every accrues first. It is also recommended on models with a one piece plastic sump to be converted with the
more common steel sump with removable filter. The conversion cost about $70AUD more but then you will be
saving $70 every service after that as you only need a filter and gasket rather than a complete sump.
Many use their D's in a heavy duty fashion I would wager. As they say, buyer beware.

PL