View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Guys!!!!

Sounds like your cables are stuck/corroded, when the engine is on the car holds itself using the hydraulic brake pressure, when you switch the engine off it switches over to mechanical holding.

Check your park brake cables! I was having issues with mine, this is what I found when I removed mine!

The cable had corroded and become stuck to the outer cable sheath, this stops the parking brake from actually holding the wheel and in some cases causing stress to the gears like in your case.

This is the new and old cables compared, BMW changed the design, the cuase is the cable outer sheathing rubs on the subframe, this allows water to get inside, rust the outer steel shell causing it to expand and then rub on the inner plastic/PTFE coated inner core wearing it away and then causing that to rust too!

The cables only come as a pair, even though only one of mine was broken the other side was in a very similar condition.

Hope this helps, its worth checking! Im sure this puts stress on the park brake module itself if these are seized.

Stuart