View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 325xis
To OP:

Yes, I know what you mean. Once you see the "car of your dreams" it's hard to think of anything else--particularly in the "gotta have it now" world we live in

As some have said here, it pays to exercise a little bit of patience and shop around for the best, most reasonable deal you can find. If, however, this car is your absolute final choice, and you are comfortable financially to afford the car, then I'd say go for it. These are, I'm afraid, questions only you can answer.

Like you, I too owned a 325xi back in 2001--It was my first BMW. Somewhat of a stripper, but still a BMW. (It had the steptronic tranny and, by golly, the fog lights were an option!)

It sounds to me like you really enjoyed the 328i a lot. Coming, as you said, from a 325i, this modern 328i 4-banger turbo fits most people's bill. In my case, I always had the "base" engine in all my prior cars and this time promised myself the next one would have the "better" engine (in this case the in-line 6 turbo from the 335i) for its power, torque, smoothness and soundtrack. [My last four banger was a MB C230 Kompressor--car was pretty to look at but that was about it. Did not care for the sound of the engine with the supercharger. Believe it or not, my 1999 Passat 1.8T had a very pleasing engine note and smooth power delivery. I traded it towards my 325xi. But I digress.]

In short:

1. Drive both cars and see what happens, just so you don't hate yourself later on for not having done so;
2. Shop around, try one, two or three different dealers;
3. Sit down with pen and paper and run the numbers yourself;
4. Run your lease by "carman" at the Edmund's site--I did and he pointed out a few valuable tidbits of information-

Most importantly, let us know what you end up deciding!