View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by granlund View Post
From someone who has essentially both of those cars (ok, a non-vanos 325 is slightly peppier than a vanos 320), the 530 sport handles remarkably well for that size sedan, but in pure driving feel, the e36 still wins, but not by much. I got the 530 two years ago because I needed the extra space for a family and my wife had only one argument when shopping for cars; it can't be more than 10 years old. With a manual transmission, it's a bit cumbersome in city driving, but in all honesty, I cannot think of a better car to own for highway driving. Ok, yes, there is one - a E36 M3 4-door, but then we're back to the 10-year condition again...

If you get the e39 530 sport, keep it stock. The BMW chassis engineers really knew what they were doing.
Thanks for the reply. I guess that's decent then - in the end I'm looking for a large car that's great for cruising, and also has quite good handling when I want to enjoy some turns. It sounds like an E39 sport would fit that criteria very nicely. Whenever I get enough cash (this car will cost around $15k+ here in Australia ), I'll make sure I know what sport features I want to have.

I'm quite keen for highway driving in an E39 - my E36 has developed some noise somewhere in the steering components.. the reviews of the E39 being too quiet appeals to me in that sense! Also the big engine will be great for it, and people will actually be comfortable in the back seat.

As for keeping it stock, I guess that makes things easier and cheaper then. I'd look at some audio/input mods though, such as a bluetooth headunit. Would be keen to get a Siri button working for my iPhone like the newer cars.

Last edited by andrew320i; 11-14-2012 at 03:37 AM.