BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Is the boiler powered by electricity?

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
If boiler and water heat are electric, it will use a LOT of power. A boiler could easily pull 3-5,000 watts or more if it was electric.

The big natural gas genny that Costco is selling is actually a bargain. It puts out 50 amps and provides seamless switchover when utility power is interrupted. It is tied directly into the house mains so its like nothing even happened when the power goes down. That's what I would do if I was concerned about periodic storm outages.
The boiler is powered by gas, but electricity is needed to move the damper and air circulator. One of my frustrations for the 10 days we were out of power was that the boiler was warm and the pilot light was lit, just couldn't manually crank it up and get it to provide strong steam.

The hot water heater functioned as if there were no blackout at all during the blackout. Had unlimited hot water, powered by gas as well.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®