View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 740i
start, no start, driving me nuts

my 95 7 ran really good on friday night....reached in to start it sunday night and it started then died. would not restart. the motor sounded really funny when i tried to restart it too, like there was no compression. i thought i had broke a timing chain, but no. thought i had a tech read the computer for codes, but it turns out he did not. got to chasing the no start, and did a compression test on left bank. 100, 80, 60, 40 lbs front back. not good. however, car ran perfectly, no bad idle, and showed me getting 23mpg a week before. absolutely no problem with how it ran prior to no start. so now i have motor torn down, head off, and am now wondering if there is a sensor in the car that would prevent it from starting, or shut it down after it had started. i am furious with my wrench for not scanning the car!! im checking numbers for the non recalled block number, so im probably heading towards replacing motor. however, i would also consider rebuilding heads if motor is not nikosil. am really lost as to why it quit and then would not start. i have read hundreds of forums, and they help, but not nailing it down for me. any ideas would be appreciated.
Advertisement