View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 02:45 AM

Mein Auto: x3
I have finally fixed my transfer case issue, I wanted to do my tyres and the transfer case fluid at the same time so i waited until i needed the tyres which i got some more (2 rears) Yokohama ADVAN ST's which although not cheap are bloody awesome though, now why wait to do all this together you may ask? well i needed two new tyres, i needed a wheel alignment and i needed to change the transfer case fluid, my experiment was what was the ROOT cause of this issue with the transfer case shudder, was it the tyres, the lack of alignment or the case itself?

Well i can reveal that i changed the tyres first and it had a minor impact on the transfer case problem, then the alignment which although i suspect was not actually done by the tyre shop, they did change the tyres around on the front and it made no difference, but when i changed the fluid in the transfer case last night it came out looking like Coca Cola as others have mentioned and when done the transfer case issue totally disappeared, its like driving a new car!

Now my only issue is i still need a wheel alignment but that makes no difference to the transfer case issue IMO, same as the tyres, its 100% the fluid change that will fix your issue unless you have some other more serious issue.

My other issue is that although 700ml came out of the transfer case it took around 900ml to fill it as i must of been sloping slightly downhill, im wondering if anyone thinks i should drain a bit out and is 900ml too much fluid?

Just for the record i have approx 93000 KM on the clock my transfer issue came on around 87000km's.

Last edited by maxeaus; 11-14-2012 at 02:49 AM.