View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsanchez3 View Post
Same thing here with the fluid change. I changed mine about the same time. It looked like dark chocolate milk. When I filled it I put in about .9 liters. The noise and feel seemed to go away pretty much completely.

Then I started to get nervous that I overfilled it and ended up dumping it again (was pretty dirty again, but NOTHING like the first time) and refilling with exactly or as close as I could get to .7 liters. Much to my surprise, the noise came back. Yikes.

So, I went looking and through this forum found the following:

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/09/55/16

I followed that and topped back up to around .9 or so liters. The noise is now gone again and it feels quite good.

I found it very disturbing as when I dumped the chocolate milk the first time, I measured it and it was exactly .69 liters. Scares the crap out of me that this thing was probably running underfilled all that time. Oh well.
My theory on "less than topped off gearbox fluids" from the factory is because it would make a mess on the assembly line. So they pick an amount that will fill them "full enough to be fine" but not so much that they'll run over.

Last edited by usaret; 11-14-2012 at 06:56 AM.