View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
Yes, as long as you keep total weight below about 2500 pounds to keep your car in line with rated GCVWR (the x3 is rated at 7500 lbs and curb weight is right at 5,000 lbs with cargo, passengers and fuel).

I have a hitch on my x3 that I purchased at the dealer and installed myself when the car was 2 weeks old. Easy install, but I have only used it for a bike rack when we go camping...

Enjoy your hunt for a new car!

My only suggestion...don't buy an x3 with a tow hitch unless you buy direct from first owner who has a story like me. If someone towed a travel trailer or something heavy you don't know what damage was done already. You can easily install one for $300 yourself.
+1

It's funny how much you and I are alike as I did my hitch the same way. I negotiated it thrown in with the deal and installed it myself. I highly encourage anybody wanting one to go OE as you and I have.

I tow a small 4x6 trailer regularly and actually prefer putting the weight on the trailer than the car. It pulls so effortlessly that I have to be careful not to forget it's back there when backing or taking sharp corners.

My wife and I are planning a winter trip up the Alaska Highway in a few years and I'm modifying the trailer specifically with that trip in mind. I have no concerns with the car being robust enough to haul the trailer that distance over rough roads and frost heaves (we drove the road in June a few years back).

The X3 was built with towing in mind so the requirements of extra frame bracing aren't there like on the E46's.

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=349258