View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dritch View Post
Would like to drive to southern France after pick-up. Anyone know of reasonable routes that don't go through hairy mountain passes in Germany/Italy?
We traveled from Stuttgart to Grindelwald in Switzerland and on to Lake Geneva on one trip and there really was no scary driving. In fact there were many beautiful sights that I am glad we got to see.

Later that trip we drove on to Bellagio. Going south (or north) through Switzerland seems to require use of tunnels or mountain passes and heading down to Lake Maggiore from Grindelwald in fog was no fun. Also the road from Como to Bellagio was very narrow and I found it nerve wracking. Later I discovered that the west side of Lake Como is not a tough drive and that you can take a car ferry from the west side to Bellagio and avoid the narrow road.

Now everybody's threshold for pain differs and I don't want to mislead you. But I think that you will find that traveling from Munich to Avignon via Lucerne, Interlaken and Geneva will be relatively easy and very scenic.