Thread: M5 Impressions
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
M5 Impressions

2013 M5 Impressions

Every time I've had the chance I have put down the M5 because frankly, all the models I've tried in my view have been mediocre at best. Harsh ride, no low rpm torque, subpar transmissions, etc., etc. Every time I've driven one I've walked away disappointed.

This time again I was curious about the new one and I decided to take a look at it KNOWING that I was going to hate it but I had to drive it anyway. Yesterday, I was able to take a new 2013 M5 out for an extended test drive and I'd like to share my impressions:

Wow! It took me completely by surprise - I had a totally different experience than what I was expecting and most of it was positive. The car I tested had the double clutch automatic and I must say it is just about the best dual clutch automatic I've tested and it felt better to me than the Porsche's PDK - it just felt crisper and smoother at the same time. The engine also felt sublime to me with an incredible pull from just about anywhere above idle. I thought the ride would be harsh like the others . . wrong again . . even in the Sport Plus setting it felt tolerably firm and always controlled (my test car had the 20s with Michelin PSS non-RFTs). The steering feel was also superb.

IMO the car is just magnificent. Journalists who have given it a bad review don't know what they are talking about . . HA! People keep trying to make the M5 a sports car when it is not. It is often criticized because it is so massive and it feels so heavy. Yes it is, it feels heavier and more massive to me than my F10 550i but I find that perfectly OK and I love the feel. It is not a sports car, it's a super comfortable and massive ballistic missile. Kudos to BMW for this masterpiece.
Ads by Google