View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 04:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport
My 2013 BMW 328xi coupe review

Hi,

New forum member and new BMW owner! Thought I'd post my review of my new 328xi if case others were considering the car.

2013 BMW 328xi coupe, AT, Sapphire Black exterior, Coral Red interior, M-Sport/Premium/Cold weather packages, Navigation/Bluetooth/Sat radio.

I bought the car new for $50K, about $1500 under MSRP. I thought about getting a CPO but I plan to keep the car for a while and there is just something nice about having a brand new car.

I live in the North East and don't have storage space for winter tyres so AWD + all-season tyres were a must. The choice was therefore 328xi or 335xi. If it weren't for the horror stories I read about 335xi reliability I probably would have gone for that model, but my commute is 90% highway and the thought of being stuck on the roadside, a long way from home, was enough to convince me not to take the risk.

I've had the car a few weeks now, here are my thoughts.

Exterior/Interior

I love the way the car looks, the M-Sport package makes a big difference, the front bumper and skirts give the impression that the car sits lower than it really does. The black/red combination has to be seen in real life to be appreciated, works really well. The black exterior looks amazing when clean (especially driving in the city at night) but does get dirty quickly. I figure a bi-weekly hand wash and wax will keep it looking good.

Handling

The car is a fun drive, it handles very well especially in the corners and the engine is super smooth. The ride is a little firm, maybe due to the RTF, but not unpleasant. I found the AT to be sluggish and a little jerky when I first got the car but it now seems a lot smoother and responsive. Either the transmission has adapted to my driving style or I have adapted to the car. The sport mode (DS) is a lot of fun, almost seems like a different car, very responsive and peppy.

Performance

The 328xi gets a bad rap on this forum but I found it to be pretty fast and passengers have felt the same way. Acceleration off the line is better in DS but even D mode feels decent. In the real world, the car is probably faster than 90% of the cars on the highway so has plenty of power for practical purposes.

x-Drive

Within a week of having the car, the first snowstorm of the season hit the North East. I was very impressed with the way the car handled, it was rock solid. Driving home, the highway was a mess, cars were sliding and wheel spinning, some were left by the roadside but my car had no problems and I felt very safe. That night was also the first time I used the heated seats, not a necessity, but much appreciated.

Efficiency

I'm averaging under 20 MPG. Given my commute is 90% highway (albeit very start stop and congested) this is a little disappointing.

Overall, I'm elated with the car and would highly recommend it.
Advertisement