View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 04:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Radio unit is illuminated and on but the area to input code is greyed out.
Do you have an owners manual? If so, pull it out and start reading. If not, let us know and we can direct you to where you can download the manuals you need in PDF format...or just google for them. The model year doesn't matter...they all use the same equipment...you could even download the nav owners manual from the e38/e39/e46 to understand how to operate the nav monitor.

First, BMW doesn't use the "radio codes" any more. That radio feature ended along with the e36/e34/e32 models. Second, what "code" would you enter? You don't even have a "code" to enter because BMW never gave you one because it doesn't use anti-theft radios anymore. Third, you wrote that the radio is on & illuminated...if that's so, why would you need a "code"...it appears to be operating?

The grayed out "CODE" you see on your nav screen is an additional EWS (immobilizing) code to prevent someone with access to your car keys from taking your car. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the radio/audio system. Your garage has given you incorrect/old information.

Before playing around with the CODE feature...you really do need to read the instructions in the owners manual...I'd hate for you to play around with it and accidentally lock your self out of being able to start the car. One tip...in order for the CODE to be highlighted...the ignition has to be in POSITION 1...any other ignition position will not allow you to enter the EWS code. Again, please refer to your owners manual and you Nav owners manual for how to operate your car.

I don't have the page from the Nav manual that discusses how to use the CODE feature...but I do have the page for the MID set-up...it still basically works the same...the ignition needs to be in position 1:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 11-15-2012 at 04:41 AM.