View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix; 2015 X5 35ix
The LS2's served me well in the winter

Theoretically and in actual tests by Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=109) the winter tires will preform better in terms of stopping distance and acceleration in the snow. Having said that I can testify that the 19" LS2's on my 535Xi preformed just fine accelerating in the snow. I was never able to break them loose in normal driving while driving in 4"-5" of snow even from a standing start on a substantial hill.

Stopping may be another story. I never felt it was inadequate in normal driving, but Tire Rack measured a 30 ft. stopping distance difference at 30 mph in the snow. That can be significant depending on how you drive in the snow.

Personally, I find that the all-season tires work for me in the kind of weather we have in southern CT where the snow is cleared pretty rapidly from the streets and the daytime temperatures are usually above 25-30 deg F. They also serve me well for occasional winter forays into the mountains of New Hampshire and Vermont.

I dumped the 19" LS2's in favor of OEM 18" Continentals after 8 failures in 6,000 miles. I have had no failures of the Continentals in 10,000 miles. I see no difference in winter driving between the two.