View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 540/74 911/01 Z3(hers)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw58 View Post
Gorgeous car! Great advice, I am turning this search into a fun one. I'm only 2 hours from San Francisco and 6 miles north of LA so I'm sure I can find what I am looking for. SF has a 2002 black on black 540 with a manual transmission but I'm not sure I want the V8. Plus this car doesn't seem to have a lot of maintenance records and it has 125,000 miles so that scares me. I think the 530 is a better bet. Sounds like the 540 doesn't handle as well as the 530
I would at least drive a 540 to compare to the 530 you are looking at. The change in power is more noticable than on paper. Also the repair costs are really not all that different. The only big things I can think of that I have done that you wouldn't have on a 530 would be the valley pan gasket. Other than that the costs are about the same. As to the sport package there are enough cars out there with them and they don't really sell for much more than a non-sport. In the 540 the norm seems to have been a 6 speed (of which all were sports).