View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
I've got around 16K on mine in about 19-months. It is much more relaxed after a long drive than my previous car and gets better mileage. Did one 1100-mile day, and still was limber after getting out. I've only had one maintenance issue that was covered by warranty - the emergency brake switch was defective, and it occasionally reported the brake didn't actually release (it had, but it pops up a big warning if it thinks it didn't). That took a week or so of diagnostics and for the part to arrive, but it was driveable in the interim. Mine has never used any measurable oil, which is nice, given what some other people are experiencing. On a rare occasion, it does have the idle hunting others have mentioned, but it doesn't occur often, or with any (that I've found, yet) predictability so it has not been addressed.

We've not experienced any significant snowfalls since I've owned it, so can't comment on how it will handle those conditions, but I, too, have some Michelin Alpin winter tires on it. I'd had those on a previous vehicle, and liked them, so was glad they were an option on this one. I'd have preferred the PAII tread, but those aren't available for the BMW.

I did install both front and rear mudflaps, and those do help to keep the lower edges of the vehicle clean. WHether they create problems with heavy snow, I've yet to find out.

I had an InvisiHitch installed, and recently, while in the UK, picked up a custom trailer wiring harness for it. I use the hitch to carry a basket which I carry a recumbent trike in. I didn't need the harness for towing, but bought it so I could automatically turn off the PDC warnings from having that thing sitting so close to the rear. It will also let me put on some auxilliary lights (also bought from the UK where they're required if your bike covers the rear lights in any way), which should provide an extra level of safety to those following.

I've only seen a few GT's on the road, which is okay by me. While not the prettiest vehicle out there, it approaches it if you like functionality. But, maybe I'm not a good judge, as the first new car I ever bought was a Citroen ID19! Still have never driven a car that had such a great ride on less than perfect roads! A maintenance pain, but actually easy to do.

The only thing that I'd have preferred, was to have been able to buy it with the 530D engine in the USA. BMW has announced more diesels for the USA, but the GT may still not get one. Anyway, barring a catastropic situation, I don't plan to replace this vehicle for quite awhile...might augment it with an i3 if I'm feeling flush at the time, but that's still awhile in the futuer (predicted availability late 2013).